GPS is a system to estimate location on Earth by using signals from a set of orbiting satellites. The GPS system includes the chip in your Android device as well as the satellites above the Earth.
The viRace mobile APP depends on good and consisting GPS data tracked by your mobile phone. We do everything possible to collect and save the most accurate GPS data. Here are a few points you can do if you encounter bad GPS data.
Where do I put my mobile phone while running?
In order to get the best position data from your mobile phone, the mobile phone should have an ‘unobstructed view’ of the sky. Therefore we suggest that you carry it as open and high as possible. It is best to wear it on your upper arm with a phone armband or in a backpack as high up as possible. It is also okay to hold it in your hand. If the phone is carried on your stomach with a belt, the data can be very inaccurate.
GPS Issues while Tracking (Android phones)
Especially with mobile phones of the Android type, it may be that different data is supplied by the manufacturer and manufacturer or certain authorizations for the viRace APP (GPS data, power saving mode) must be given manually.
Steps to Take when investigating GPS Issues on Android Devices:
- Turn GPS off/on.
- Be sure viRace is allowed to use your location. Settings > Apps > viRace > Permissions > Toggle Location ON. Be sure that you’ve allowed viRace to use GPS in the background.
- Disable any battery saver settings including Power Saving Mode, Battery Management, Optimization or any third-party apps. More information on specific devices running Android 6 or higher:
- HTC: Settings > Power > Battery optimization > Not optimized > All apps > viRace > Don’t optimize > Done.
- Huawei P9 Plus: Phone settings > Apps > Settings > Special access > Ignore battery optimisation > select allow for viRACE
- Huawei P20, Huawei P20 Lite, Huawei Mate 10
Phone settings > Battery > App launch and then set viRACE app to “Manage manually” and make sure everything is turned on.
- Turn Energy Settings to Normal and add viRace to “Protected Apps.”
- Settings > Apps > Advanced > Ignore optimizations > Allowed > All apps > viRace > Allow.
- LG: Settings > Battery & power saving > Battery usage > Ignore optimizations > turn ON for viRace.
- Motorola: Settings > Battery > select the menu in the upper right-hand corner > Battery optimization > Not optimized > All Apps > viRace > Don’t Optimize.
- Samsung: Settings > Apps > select the menu in the upper right-hand corner > Special access > Optimize battery usage > All apps > Toggle OFF for viRace.
- Sony: Settings > Battery > select the menu in the upper right-hand corner > Battery optimization > Apps > viRace.
- Xiaomi (MIUI OS):
- Settings > Additional Settings > Battery & performance > Manage apps battery usage > apps > viRace.
- Settings > Additional Settings > Privacy > Location > ensure you are using High Accuracy for Location Mode and allowing location access.
- Check that your location settings are set to High accuracy. Settings > Connections > Location > Locating method > High accuracy.
- Perform an “AGPS reset” by installing the App GPS Status & Toolbox, then in that app, go to Menu > Manage A-GPS State > Reset.
- Final Steps
- Try using the viRace app to record for 10 minutes, letting it search for signals with a wide-open view of the sky, and keeping it completely immobile. If this does not produce useful location estimates, determine if GPS works in other apps. Navigation apps use cell towers to snap your position to known roads and trails which can give the illusion that your GPS is working perfectly. viRace and many other fitness apps do not do this and just use GPS to position you. Because of this, you may notice viRace is having a hard time locating you but other navigation apps aren’t.
- Try running one of the free apps that present detailed GPS operating information. “GPS Status” is a free app that can reset your GPS and download fresh A-GPS data. The link to download the app is here, and you should see it eventually reporting 5 or more satellites acquired, and an overall accuracy range of fewer than 30 meters if everything is working properly.